Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Last Five Books I Bought

I haven't done one of these in a while.  Here are the last five books I bought and a quick reason for each.

Brilliance by, Marcus Sakey.  If you've read this blog for any period of time, you know I'm a fan of Sakey's.  Here's the text from the back cover: In Wyoming, a little girl reads people’s darkest secrets by the way they fold their arms. In New York, a man sensing patterns in the stock market racks up $300 billion. In Chicago, a woman can go invisible by being where no one is looking. They’re called “brilliants,” and since 1980, one percent of people have been born this way. Nick Cooper is among them; a federal agent, Cooper has gifts rendering him exceptional at hunting terrorists. His latest target may be the most dangerous man alive, a brilliant drenched in blood and intent on provoking civil war. But to catch him, Cooper will have to violate everything he believes in—and betray his own kind.

God Save the Child by, Robert B. Parker.  After reading The Godwulf Manuscript, I decided not to wait as long between Parker books. Appie Knoll is the kind of suburb where kids grow up right. But something is wrong. Fourteen-year-old Kevin Bartlett disappears. Everyone thinks he's run away -- until the comic strip ransom note arrives. It doesn't take Spenser long to get the picture -- an affluent family seething with rage, a desperate boy making strange friends...friends like Vic Harroway, body builder. Mr. Muscle is Spenser's only lead and he isn't talking...except with his fists. But when push comes to shove, when a boy's life is on the line, Spenser can speak that language too.



Churchill by, Paul Johnson.  Winston Churchill is one of the most revered men of the 20th Century and one of the greatest leaders in history.  I don't know as much about him as I'd like and Paul Johnson's histories are supposed to be sharp and readable.  At 200 pages, it probably won't give me a full picture of the man, but it looks like it'll be a good start.




The Accidental Creative by, Todd Henry. I got this book because the concept seemed interesting and Henry blurbed a recent book by someone I respect.  I did a capsule review here.

In the Arena by, Richard M. Nixon.  After visiting his presidential library on my vacation last year, I felt the urge to reacquaint myself with the man.  My review is here.

No comments: