Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Recent Books

I haven't posted any recent book reviews, so I'll just blame it on laziness. Here are some quick hits on my recent reads.

The Accidental Creative by, Todd Henry. It's not about ways to be more creative, it's how to be ready to be creative by preparing. There were parts of the book that were annoying, like when he kept plugging his website to go buy a product or when he said "we'll get to that later" when it was already 50 page into the book. The book is mostly a synthesis of other hugely popular methods for organizing, like David Allen's influential Getting Things Done.  There are some good tips in here and I've proposed a couple to my co-workers.

Hell to Pay by, George Pelecanos. This was more Drama City than Right as Rain. I didn't really feel any tension in the story and didn't care about any of the characters. I kept being reminded of Elmore Leonard's Rules for Writing, especially Rule #7: use patois sparingly. A lot of the characters spoke in a "street" dialect that gave the novel some authenticity, but was distracting by how overwhelmingly it was used. Pelecanos has been hit or miss for me, so I'll read him again, but not for a while.

Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by, Susan Cain. Good examination of how introverts and extroverts view and experience things differently. Dives deeply into The Extrovert Ideal. Built on a ton of recent research, but with enough anecdotes that it doesn't get too dry. A very interesting read.

No comments: