Tuesday, June 18, 2013

1776 by, David McCullough

The title is quite literal as the book covers the war from October 1775 through March 1777. We see American successes (the Siege of Boston, the Battle of Trenton) and all too many defeats (the Battle of Brooklyn, the loss of Fort Washington). It's a gripping account of the precarious first part of the war. We learn a great deal about the larger-than-life characters behind the historic events. The American side is represented by Washington, Nathaniel Green, Henry Knox, and Charles Lee. The Brits have King George, both Lord Howe and General Howe, and Cornwallis.

I found McCullough's vivid depiction of the Battle of Trenton to be extremely gripping. Of course I knew how it turned out, but I was on the edge of my seat.

Very readable and engaging. My only wish is for McCullough to write a history of the rest of the war.

No comments: