Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Suzie Cracks the Whip - Blues Traveler

I'm a pretty big fan of Blues Traveler.  I saw them in concert back in 1998 and I think I own every album they released, so I was happy when I finally laid my hands on their latest CD: Suzie Cracks the Whip.  I wasn't a fan of North Hollywood Shootout (their previous album), but with this one they're back in form.

Blues Traveler's sound is constantly changing and each album sounds different from the others.  With Suzie, the closest companion I can think of is Bastardos! - which is not a bad thing. The thing is a little funk, a little Blues Traveler, and has a pretty strong country influence in the second half (probably in part to the appearance of Crystal Bowersox).

Blues Traveler has never been a dour band, but I was astonished at how unrelentingly upbeat the whole album is.  I give it a solid B.

Standout tracks:
"Things Are Looking Up"
"You Don't Have to Love Me"
"I Don't Wanna Go"

No comments: