Thursday, April 25, 2013

Getting Things Done by, David Allen


Getting Things Done by David Allen is one of the modern pillars of the executive/manager world.  This book and Allen's seminars have created legions of GTDers who approach management with a "mind like water" mentality.  Even without fully implementing GTD, there are a lot of tips and tricks here to get your professional and/or personal life under control.

I like his concept of a "tickler file", a file that helps you remember things on future dates, but it seems unwieldy for someone who does as little long-term planning as I do.  It involves creating 43 (43!!) folders, one for each day of the month (1-31) and one for each month.

Like a lot of help guides the advice is so simple that it borders on stupid.  But, you know what, it works.  Examples of Allen's wisdom

  • Always determine your "next action" on a project.
  • If the next action can be done in 2 minutes or less, do it now.
  • Write stuff down.  Your brain can only hold so much at once.
I've followed some of these in the past and listening to the audio book reminded me of how productive I was when I did.  I think this is a book that I should listen to at least once a year to keep myself focused.

Recommended...and not just for managers, but for anyone who just wants to get things done.

No comments: