Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Last Five Books I Bought

It's been a while since I posted one of these.  My TBR pile got pretty small, so I took a run to my local bookstore the other day.  I could probably add Expiration Date to the list, but since I already reviewed it, it will be excluded.  What did I buy?



A Drink Before the War by, Dennis Lehane.  I haven't read any of his books but I hear good things.  Also liked the movie Gone, Baby Gone.  I figured the first Kenzie/Gennaro book would be a good place to start.




Stalking the Angel, by Robert Crais.  I've read L.A. Requiem and The Monkey's Raincoat, so I figured I'd continue my crawl through Crais's back catalog.






The Dawn Patrol, by Don Winslow.  A lot of people, including Dave White, had nothing but praise for this book.  Figured since summer's around the corner, it would be a good time to pick it up.





The Cleaner, by Brett Battles.  I'd read a story by Battles in the Killer Year Anthology and put his debut on my list.  I'm surprised it took me this long to pick it up.




The Power and the Glory, by Graham Greene.  Going a little highbrow with this one.  Someone was talking about this on one of the group blogs I read.  It's supposed to be Greene's best work.  The Catholic Church has been outlawed in a Mexican state, all the priests are forced out of their vows and forced to take a wife.  It's a story of faith and persecution and follows an unnamed priest who refuses to give up his vows and the police lieutenant charged with tracking the priest down.

No comments: